Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Do you still answer questions regarding Ford diesel pick-ups

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Truck was running fine, check brake system came up, ABS threw on, killed it to check it out, wouldn't restart. Had it towed. Only code U0073. Cleared the code, running fine again, no code, bought part to clear future code, but want to permanently fix the problem. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 10 months ago.

Was the U0073 code the only one set?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is the only one mechanic told us about, he was even able to get it started without clearing the code by turning key 3-4 times.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
before I had it towed I disconnected both batteries to check those so not sure if that would have erased any codes, but when mechanic got it only had code U0073. When it happened the abs light came on, check engine light and check brake system
Expert:  Ray M. replied 10 months ago.

The U0073 code is for a loss of communication with the vehicle dynamics (ABS) module, have you had any work done on your truck recently where they would have had the cab off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have only had the truck about 3 weeks but in the last week had roof lights changed from yellow to white, and his truck has the step that comes out from under when his door opens and those lights were changed to white and he and his dad did an oil change.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 10 months ago.

U codes are network codes, the ABS system would have no effect on starting, however if one of the EGT sensors is going bad it would cause a no start, and the code would be erased if the battery was disconnected .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ray, as I told you yesterday the mechanic cleared the codes and vehicle started fine and code didn't come up anymore yesterday, today on his way to work the code came up with check engine light, check brake system, and abs light, he pulled over cleared the code and all lights went off again. So clearing the code works to drive the vehicle and gets warning lights off, but he wants to remedy the problem period. Do you have any idea where to start, we plan to take to a shop, but would like a good place to start versus them just replacing things that aren't the problem causing him to spend an unnecessary amount of money. We've been told to check for loose connections under dash, someone else said they replaced tuner (which is very expensive), someone said they replaced abs module. Just looking for your opinion on a good place to start and can any of this be done without going to a mechanic?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my son just told me the gauges quit working, the turbo quits working, the warning lights come on and it gets really loud. He stops clears the code and everything works fine again. So looking for good place to start, of course it may be process of elimination so want to start least expensive first but looking for somewhere to start?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 10 months ago.

I would start by checking all the major connectors on the left inner fender well, it sounds like one of them may be not plugged in all the way.