James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2006 ford mustang. It shuts off while driving and a

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ford mustang. It shuts off while driving and a messages pops up saying check charging system, dte data error, low fuel level. I have replaced the ecm and the instrument cluster but it still shuts off. The battery has also been replaced. Any ideas on what could be wrong/
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Hello, when it shuts off does it restart right away?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sometimes it will start immediately but other times it will just make a clicking sound, won't start, and keeps flashing the error messages
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Do you have to jump start it to make it start again after it is clicking? Have you checked for codes at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It will briefly start with a jump but it will immediately shut off again. Once it sits for a couple of hours, it will crank again. You can drive it but then without warning it suddenly starts shutting off again. We replaced the pcm first because the dealer said that it was completely fried and because it wouldn't allow the computer to read the codes.. We drove home from the dealer, but later that night it started shutting off again. Then they replaced the instrument cluster, but it still shuts off. Before replacing the instrument cluster, it said that there may be an issue with the throttle body but once we replaced the cluster that code no longer showed up.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Hmm, do any codes come on when it stalls or do you have a way to test for codes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have a way to test for codes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure what to do at this point.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

From your description it sounds to me like it's a defective alternator. If the alternator has bad diodes it can charge find one day but not charge another. If you are not charging and the warning lights come on. This can be due to having low voltage. When voltage is low the modules shut down to keep the engine running.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. We'll try that
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Sounds good. Please remember to rate my service so I receive credit for assisting you.

Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Hello, were you able to correct your concern.