A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I am leery that I have to allow my information and pay

Customer Question

I am leery that I have to allow my information and pay for that honor.
1990 Mustang 5.0 Ignition key/lock cylinder from Late Model Restoration won't easily go fully back into column. Initial issue: After removing original cylinder to address electrical.... turn signals that only worked when manually advancing key switch. Car starts and runs great otherwise. It might be in the column and not the ignition but now I am perplexed:
I made sure the new cylinder advanced to allow tab to fall into place but unit would only go far enough to catch about 1 inch short of seating home. No matter how much I moved the steering wheel or pushed the lock button at column bottom, cylinder would not enter receptacle completely. I forced the cylinder back in, gently of course , but something is wrong as there is no electrical or easy movement of cylinder. Everything seems too tight. There may be an issue related internally to column where the brass connection is not allowing the new cylinder to access the column. I appreciate your input. Mustang is dead in driveway...Help...even old switch won't get car started.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

I may be confused by the wordage, but do you mean that the ignition is from a different year and make vehicle than your 90 Mustang? If so, what is it from? And is the cylinder housing from your 90 Mustang or is it different as well

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Eric. The cylinder housing is from Late Model Restoration and appears to be the same as the original that came with this 1990 LX. It came out easily enough but even with the tab pushed in and moving steering wheel back and forth I cannot get these to go back in but about three quarters of the way. Everything looks the same on both and lined up as well. I forced it in but there are no lights and no spring action. I installed a new ignition switch as well since I was already in column. Thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

Ok, can you get me the part number from the LMR lock cylinder so I can do a cross reference to make sure it is the correct one

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Eric, the ignition cylinder from Late Model Restoration seems to be LRS-11582A. It appears to be identical to the original and the odd thing about that is the original doesn't want to go back in easily either. That is why I mentioned in original question is it possible something has slipped under spring tension in column that now doesn't allow this to back in easily? Thanks again.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, what I show behind the lock cylinder that is inside the cylinder housing it goes into is a retainer, bearing and gear. I have attached a diagram showing them. If you look closely, you can see slot holes in them that the end of the lock cylinder should slide into. Most likely one of them has turn and not lining up.

Use a flashlight to look into the housing on yours and see if the slots all line up and use a thin, long pick tool to turn them and line them up

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK Eric, I will try this again. I looked into this area originally to try to see why it would allow entry only part way. I called LMR to ask why this is so difficult and they said to wiggle the cylinder back and forth and turn steering wheel as well.
They also said it can be tricky to get back in. They looked (gear and bearing) all lined up so let me try this again but things are really tight.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

Ok, let me know if it works or not and I will try to find anything else that could cause it to not seat all the way

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Eric, same problem. I had to hand hammer it in with my palm but there is no electrical connection and it doesn't feel correct. I can turn switch but there is no resistance to "spring" switch back when you are going through the motions to attempt to start car. If something doesn't get resolved I will have it towed to a specialty Mustang shop but they are mostly Performance. Can I work on getting a refund since nothing has been resolved? Thank you for your help and I realize this is hard to diagnose over the net or phone.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Sorry I could not help get it resolved. I will contact customer service for the refund

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK Thank you. And not as sorry as I am. This has become very frustrating and cannot see where or how I am doing something wrong. Car was running fine and turn signals would not work and getting worse unless I advanced the key cylinder slightly.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 10 months ago.

New Expert here. Why did you replace the ignition lock cylinder?
Basically did you have problems with the original one to make you replace it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As above, I thought the turn signal issues were related to the cylinder because I could advance it manually just a bit and they would work. Had to do this every time car was started and thought this was root cause but possibly not.

Ok. The problem is not the ignition key cylinder that you are replacing. More than likely it is the ignition switch itself. The electrical part. They are prone to coming apart causing several electrical issues. Can you reinstall the original key cylinder in the steering column?

see the pictures below.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As above, I have replaced the ignition switch too. I haven't gotten any electricity to anything yet because I cannot get the cylinder to seat properly so I am fighting the cylinder to go back in without forcing it home.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do appreciate your thoroughness as I am frustrated and may have it towed tomorrow.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cannot get the original installed easily either. Tough to get back in and out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even with the silver tab pushed in.

Look at the key cylinder. On the end is a tab that on one side has a small point sticking up. Then look into the opening it slides into. There is a plate and a gear that must line up with that tab. Use a small pocket or flat blade screwdriver to line them up and then turn the key cylinder to the on position while pressing on the release pin. When the pin goes in, leave it in that position and then align the slots on the side of the key cylinder with the slots in the steering column opening. Then locate the tab on the key cylinder and see where the small point is located and try to line it up. Then insert the cylinder and slightly wiggle it. See if it goes all the way is. Then turn the key to on and then all the way off and back to on to seat it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try this. Thank you.

Your welcome. Please keep me informed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am having it towed. I got the cylinder to go in easier after multiple attempts. However turning while in car is not creating any electrical connections at all. It will not go back to lock (where you remove key) and starter will not engage. Flashers and lights come on so I have power so I am perplexed.

No problem. I understand. Please let me know if you need any more assistance with this.