rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2003 ford windstar 3.8L. Whenever I full throttle

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2003 ford windstar 3.8L. Whenever I full throttle the car the Rpms will rise and when it hits around 4-5k the car will jerk, like it's losing power for a second or two then go. It also makes a noise kind of like an Intake sucking air noise.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Check the MAF sensor first, then check your fuel pressure with a gauge. An exhaust restriction can also cause this.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay how do I go about checking them?Should I try cleaning the MAF sensor first, I also have a new fuel filter I'm going to install.Would a clogged cat cause this?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

You can, but that was NOT my suggestion. Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need ma again later on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay I researched how to test the fuel pressure and the MAF sensor. I will be doing that along with the new fuel filter. How do I check for exhaust restrictions?Also another issue I have is when I turn the car on sometimes the idle will bounce around and the car will shake abit until 20-30 secs have passed or if I Rev it abit or put into Drive.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Use a vacuum gauge for checking exhaust system.

Use scan tool to check other issue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay will do
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Thanks