Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2000 ford f150, starts most of the time, runs fine then gets

Customer Question

2000 ford f150, starts most of the time, runs fine then gets sluggish, for a mile or so, then back to fine again for a few miles, back to sluggish. Reaching speeds of 3 miles per hour. But doesn't stall. Other times fuel pump does not even kick in. I can manual feed it gas via air cleaner. Once started it will stay started. I put new relay and fuel filter on it, purchased a fuel pump but wasn't sure if I should put it in or not. Could it be something else before I put that new pump in
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. What size engine do you have? Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes in the computer? Have you checked the fuel pressure when this occurs?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5.4 litter, check engine has been on for years and I don't have a computer
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Ok, well you have some work to do. Get the computer scanned for FREE at your local auto parts store and reply back with the codes. In addition, check fuel pressure when this happens and record the readings. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
20 miles from town, won't make it that far
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Then I dont know how you are planning to diagnose this problem.