Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

98 escort with key stuck in lock cylinder, manual trans

Customer Question

98 escort with key stuck in lock cylinder, manual trans replaced lock sensor, just a plastic piece in the 91 I had since it didn't start but could still take the key out afterwards this just suddenly did that though I thought I should have put wd40 in it or something for the 2yrs I had it because of the feel can't find much on forums
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I put it to start my car in the morning for deliveries and it felt locked in and I felt panicked and kept trying to get it out which I couldn't. I had just put 20 pizzas in my car so I jumped in and put it in to start differently then usual... i kept turning my steering wheel while doing it or at least holding it from the start but stopped after many attempts
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the key turn at all to start the engine or to the full off position at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can start it but I can't get it to turn in the off position. I sprayed penetrating fluid in it last night and will try to turn it again tomorrow before work, hoping to find a way to get it out on Tuesday since im off work. I assume if the ignition switch was the problem it wouldn't start since I had to replace one in my 91 escort but I could take the key out while it was running and start it with just about any key. if I get the key out i'll probably use my other key or try and get a copy of the bad one and my extra key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when trying to turn it to the off position it barely pushes in. it doesn't push in like I think it usually does
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like either your key is badly worn needing replaced and isnt engaging the tumblers properly in the ignition cylinder (this is the mechanical cylinder the key inserts into and not the ignition switch) or the fault is in the cylinder itself with the cylinder needing replaced.If you can get the key out try another good key and see if it works properly and if it does then your o.k. from here but if it does not then I suspect the ignition cylinder needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete