Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

My parents had a cv joint fail on their 2013 fusion

Customer Question

Hey Chris. My parents had a cv joint fail on their 2013 fusion yesterday. They said it wasn't making any noise and there was no warning. My mom thought she'd had a blowout, only to find the tire sitting at an angle. The dealership says she must have hit something and don't want to fix it. Are there instances when these fail? How should I go about explaining that to the dealership?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

It is very rare for CV joints to fail on these models. Unless there was an issue with the boot that contains the grease for the joint. If the boot was damaged by road debris it could allow moisture to enter the joint and cause the bearings to fail. If the dealer is telling you she must of hit something then they should be able to prove it by showing you evidence of impact. A large tear in the boot, impact marks on the axle, lower control arm, wheel and tire, etc. There should be some evidence of impact. If there is no proof of impact then they are just guessing. If they will not fix it under warranty (if it still has warranty) then tell them you will be contacting Ford customer service. The phone # ***** *****(###) ###-####

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.