Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

01 ranger does not want to start in cold, runs bad (low

Customer Question

01 ranger does not want to start in cold, runs bad (low choppy idle) while cold
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

The first thing I would check is the idle air control valve. It is a major player for cold starting and idle air control. They can stick and not close enough causing the air fuel mixture to be too lean for cold engine operation. Sometimes you can verify it by starting the engine cold and when it is running poorly lightly tap on the valve with a small hammer. If the idle speed increases to normal cold high idle then replace the valve.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I should have told you I cleaned intake assembly in Sep. 2015... today I found the problem when I moved a trailer, my O.D. shut off button would not work and found a pinched and shorted wire (what a mess) still not shure why it didn't through a code or blew a fuse .

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure why a pinched wire for the overdrive switch would cause cold starting issues, but if that took care of it then all the better.