AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 2010 Ford Mustang 5 speed manual v6. When I go to

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Ford Mustang 5 speed manual v6. When I go to start my car it cranks but won't start every time. When it does start I let it idle but it eventually stalls out. I just had the fuel system cleaned two days ago and didn't have problems till today.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I have to imagine that you have a trouble code stored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really don't know that much about cars so I have no idea where to look to see if I have a code

You would need to plug a code reader into your on board diagnostic port and scan for codes. Auto zone does this for free, but I am thinking your car won't run to get it to auto zone, right? If that's the case then you can usually pick one up fairly cheap at harbor freight or any auto parts store.

I am thinking this is most likely resulting from the fuel system cleaning that was done. Who did the fuel system cleaning? was it a shop, or one of those fuel additives?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Valvoline did it when I got my oil changed there

I'm not so sure you really needed that, but at any rate.. How many miles have you put on it since then? Did it seem to be running great the past 2 days up until now? Or was it running rather poorly since then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said that I should expect some things when it idled for a little bit after I got it done. The car has a little over 44000 and I put maybe 10 on after the service

they said that you should expect it to run poorly for a little bit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah while whatever build up burned off

Ok, so it did run poorly ever since the work was done.. I would be curious to know if there are any codes, but I am confident that this is from the cleaning they performed. Depending on how it was performed, they may have damaged the fuel pump or the injectors may be plugged with gunk that was sent through the system. Have you called them to tell them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would idle weird for a bit but I didn't have any major problems until today. I haven't called them

Was it idling strange before the service?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no issues with the car before the service at all

As i suspected. Some component of your fuel system was almost definitely damaged as a result of the cleaning. To figure it out we would have to start by checking the fuel pressure to see if it's the fuel pump and go from there. I would definitely contact them and make them aware of this as soon as you can.

I had a van a few years back that was at the local oil change place, and they cross threaded the drain plug and left it. I replaced the oil pan and they accepted responsibility and paid the bill.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was the fuel pump wouldnt it not pump more fuel into the engine when the pedal is depressed

.

I don't understand the question..

Are you saying that, when you do get it running that you can give it the gas and it revs fine?

There may also be a disconnected vacuum line. They may have had to disconnect one to hook up the fuel system cleaner and forgot to reconnect it. Take a look to see if you notice any wires or hoses that aren't connected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It revs fine. I got it started and drove it around for about a half hour. When I got back I let it idle and it still hasn't stalled out. Then I tried shutting it off and starting it again, which it did with no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been idling at 6000-8000 rpm for about the last 15 minutes

I assume you mean 800 rpm. That's fine. It sounds like everything is working as it should now. It's not unusual for a car to run a little poorly shortly after the procedure. It is abnormal for it to stall out, or crank for ever without starting, but since everything is working now I would assume that everything is fine and that it was from the cleaning