Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2001 Eddie bauer expidition. 200k miles. Abs is almost

Customer Question

2001 Eddie bauer expidition. 200k miles. Abs is almost always now. started with front right rubbing then soon after binding/popping after a complete stop or slow hard turn for last week. rear right tire starting locking up and front left starting to drag now. fluid level is good, no work done on breaks in 8 months. any diagnosis?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Intially taught was bearing or cv shaft. replaced both. replaced sway bar links. ball joints and tie rods replaced in jan 2015, still seem solid. checked lubricant level in transfer and differantial case, both o.k.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the anti lock brake light or traction control light come on with this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I haven't seen either of those 2 lights come on at all
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,what can cause this fault here is a fault with the brake master cylinder.Its flexible cups inside of it can start to swell up over time and cause brake hydraulic fluid pressure to be applied to the brakes.It can cause this fault with one or more of the brakes like you see here to lock up.The other issue is a fault with the anti lock hydraulic unit itself but usually you would see a fault light on on the dash for the abs at fault.

I suspect the brake master cylinder needs replaced and the fluid bled of air after it is replaced to correct this here.I have had to replace several brake master cylinders before in the past for this fault here.

You can usually check this,when one of the affected wheels locks up loosen the air bleed screw from that brakes caliper and see if the wheel then frees up and rolls.It it does then the master cylinder needs replaced.Keep in mind if you do this you will need to bleed the brake system free of air before driving the vehicle again.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i replaced the master cylinder no change. i took it in for a diagnostics, the reply i got was a combination of transfer case and rear differential failure. $2500 to have the shop fix it, think their trying to get over on me?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Is this only occuring when shifted into 4wd?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The vehicle doesn't have 2 wd, only a4wd, 4hi and 4lo
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,I would think that if one of these gear boxes is causing the fault here it would be the transfer case itself.This will cause the right front and right rear to lock up in some cases but usually this will affect both the front and both the rear wheels locking up if this was the case.If it was a rear differential failure then only the rear would lock up in most cases so this doesnt sound right to me here.

This still sounds like a brake component fault.

It is possible that the anti lock brake hydraulic unit is the cause here as this can apply pressure on its own to the brakes individually like this here causing this fault.If this was not checked into by the shop or dealer this should be done to see if this is the cause here.

It can also be a fault with the right rear and right front brake caliper locking up but usually you wont see two calipers fail at the same time unless the incorrect brake fluid had been used as this can damage the calipers.

Thanks Pete