Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

I have a 2003 Ford F250 6.0. the problem started as an

Customer Question

hi, I have a 2003 Ford F250 6.0. the problem started as an intermittant long crank issue. No codes but would every sop often take 8-10 seconds to start and even less frequently it wouldnt start at all unless you cycled the key on and off 2-3 times. a mechanic friend told me that the glowplug indicator was shutting off to quickly so I replaced the glowplug module. The truck ran great for a little over a week then wouldnt start at all. I have a knock-off version of VCM and got codes for cam sensor and crank sensor. also checked ICP, IPR, FICM volt, FICM sync, and CKP/CMP sync. All looks good except no sync on either. I have replaced both sensors, had FICM tested, and replaced entire wire harness. still no sync and code 2617 is still there. could it be the PCM? what else should I be doing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Since the engine harness and crank sensor was replace and you still have a p2617 code, I would suspect a bad PCM, I have seen PCM's that would stall if the PCM was tapped on while idling. The pinpoint test for 2617 is checking for voltage, opens, and grounds on the crank sensor wiring, since this has all been replaced and the concern still exists, I would replace the PCM. The only other thing I have seen is severe rust build up on the engine block holding the sensor away from the trigger wheel causing a weak signal. If the block is not rusty and clean where the sensor mounts, replace the PCM. Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott