James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Tj. I have a power steering problem with a 2002 ford taurus

Customer Question

Tj. I have a power steering problem with a 2002 ford taurus that mechanics have been unable to diagnose. It shoots power steering fluid out the cap when you turn the engine off. I've replaced the power steering pump and bled the lines multiple times. Air must be geting in somewhere.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/154290-fluid-coming-out-power-steering-pump-cap-2.html We cannot find the 'plate' or 'bolt' they talk about there which seems to be a common problem I see some references that claim the pressure relief valve is part of the power steering pump but Autozone says the pressure relieve valve is in the rack, so I'm really confused, now.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I paid, needs the help!
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this concern is caused by an issue in the steering rack. Replacing the steering rack and pinion is on way to replace it. The other is to remove and tighten the nut on the passenger side. This nut/screw is inside the steering rack once you remove the boot that protects it and the inner tie rod end.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I found that answer on google, too. This nut is not loose, there is no fluid in the boot on either side. If there's an obstruction somewhere else (another cause I see for this on internet searches) what is the best way to remove the obstruction?
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

If there is no obstruction then I would replace the power steering pressure line. This line I have also seen cause the same concern. Overtime the fluid swells the rubber and causes a restriction.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Phone is not good for me as I am deaf. I really just want to know how to clear an obstruction if there's one there.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

An obstruction in the power steering lines isn't possible when rubber swells. Your only option is to install a new power steering line on the pressure side.