Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2002 FORD WINDSTAR,SOMETIMES STARTS FINE,SOMETIMES VERY

Customer Question

2002 FORD WINDSTAR,SOMETIMES STARTS FINE,SOMETIMES VERY DIFFICULT,INTERMITTENT ROUGH IDLE AND POOR PERFORMANCE;REALLY ROUGH ACCELERATION AND IDLE,NE GOING DOWN ROAD SEEMS TO RUN OK,OTHER TIMES CAN BARELY GO UP A SMALL HILL,IT HAS 206,000 MI,V SE MODEL,HELP
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: STARTS GOOD FIRST COUPLE TIMES,THEN KINDA HARD TO START,ALMOST LIKE ITS OUT OF TIME
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port and check the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO,ALMOST RUNS N STARTS LIKE IT IS TOO FAR ADVANCED,BUT THERE IS NO TIMING ADJMT
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your correct, timing is controlled by the computer and is not adjustable, So you saying it cranks hard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

With the amount of miles you have on the engine I wonder if the timing chain has jumped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't it run badly most of the time ifit did
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Is the computer system setting any fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that i can tell
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I think I would start with the basics, remove the spark plugs and run a compression test, install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring, normal fuel pressure should be right at 32 to 45 PSI. I would also scan the computer system to see if there are any stored fault codes.