James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My 1997 2wd F150 while in park it runs fine, till I t the

Customer Question

my 1997 2wd F150 while in park it runs fine, till I hit the brakes then it shuts down. I changed my brake light switch on the pedal, reset the engine by unplugging the battery for 30 mins. Started it up touched the brake it shut down again. All I could think of was that switch, is there anything else I can try. If I rev the shit out of it and ram it into neutral while engaging the brake at the same time then I can drive it but I then disconnect the brake switch and have no tailights.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Did the vehicle shut down when the brake is pressed and the brake switch is unplugged?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thats the only way I can drive it trick it then unplug it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
WOuld the plug into the switch be faulty I only replaced the switch itself, is there a breaker for that unit?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I mean a fuse
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

There is a fuse for the brake lamp but that shouldn't cause a stalling concern. Do you have a way to see if any codes are present?

Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

If you unplug the brake switch and it still stalls I don't think it's the brake switch. I would plug off the vacuum line going to the brake booster and see if it still stalls. It almost sounds like your vacuum booster is leaking and causing a vacuum leak.