HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My wife owns a 2011 ford fiesta ses and at I drive in the

Customer Question

Hi, my wife owns a 2011 ford fiesta ses and at I drive in the city mostly on a daily basis and I drive all day long as she is a courier. Several times, let say I stop at a red light a hundred times a day well probably 20 of those times the car simply dies so she just puts the car in Neutral and it fires back up. We have had it at the dealership several times and they cannot figure it out, it never ever leaves a cel on. I have read several places online with others having this same problem and no one can really give them a explanation to why it does this. She has come close to being rear ended several times with the people behind her thinking she will just take off as soon as the light turns green. Now I know I am probably grasping at straws here after being to the dealership 6 times with this so please not to insult you but Please dont just take my money and guess at something if you dont know what it is. I have been using just-answer for several years and I have been burned several times on here, most of the time I get great answers that fix the problem. I know it has to be something simple and I dont want my wife hurt or die for something simple. I did find the one link where he describes a couple other model fords but not ours, I will include the link and you can watch the video. He said he seen it through a tsb. Do you or anyone have any idea what is going on here? Thanks Dale http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/10746-engine-stalling-solution-do-yourself-fix.html
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Hello, im familiar with the wiring repair in your link, but dont believe it applies to your vehicle, A stalling issue coming to a stop can be caused by a variety of things,, one that comes to mind is an issue with the evaporative emissions purge valve which is located on the intake manifold which draws in fuel vapor while driving down the road, we have seen these stick open and cause a stalling concern. If you post the 17 digit vin number I can check a few other things,how many miles are on the vehicle and has anything else been repaired or replaced recently and then the concern started to happen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will get you the vin shortly and one thing I didn't mention is although I am not factory trained I do know my way around a vechical and actually own a shop here in town but don't have access to the equipment you guys do. If you are able to read some of my last post you will see where I have mentioned I own a shop called Davis Auto Repair. I have hooked up my snap on solaspro and it comes up with nothing so my question is if it was emissions wouldn't it throw a code and a cel? But when I get home I will get that vin for you. What I did notice with that post where he was redoing the wiring the complaint that customer had although was for a 2013 focus the sytoms were the same. Shutting off with no warning while at a idle at a red light. Other than this the car runs perfect.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Ok, it may or may not set a code depending on what is causing the concern, get me the vin number and ill double check for any known issues

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here's the vin. Thanks. 3FADP4FJ3BM171397
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Ok no known technical bulletins for this concern, the evap purge valve was changed once at 93K miles for a fuel smell and P0456 evap small leak code. There are 2 open recalls, one is to reprogram the powertrain control module and trans control module and other to replace all 4 door latches. It can be a throttle body issue which would need to be monitored to see if the electronic throttle control desired angle and actual angle are within 3 degrees of each other. ANything more than that can cause a stall. Vacuum leak, falling apart air filter, dirty mass air flow sensor or stuck open evap purge valve can cause a stall