Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2008 F350 dually rear end has been rebuilt a month

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2008 F350 dually rear end has been rebuilt a month ago I'm getting a grinding noise in the rear end comes on the drivers side . I replaced the brake pads rotors seemed ok. I'm going to recheck them in the morning. The noise only comes in the final braking as I come to a stop. I have a hotshot business I haul loads up to 16,000 pds the heavier the load the worse it gets. Could this be a bearing issues a rear axle seal it looked like there was fluid on the inside of the wheel
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just did
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I smelled a burning fluid from the right rear axle, which leads me to believe it was a rear axle seal which may have burned up the bearings
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). All experts are independent contractors here at Just Answer none are employees, we do not get a paycheck or benefits from JA. We work for the customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Based on what you said, this looks to be faulty rear wheel hub bearings and this lead to the inner hub seal failing and that is the source of the leak and the odor.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I only receive a portion of your deposit when you rate. If you do not rate or rate bad, the website keeps all of the deposit you have already paid.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is the seal that is on the back of the hub that holds inner bearing, or an axle seal that seals the rear end fluid. Thanks

The inner seal does not hold the bearing. The bearing holds the wheel straight up and down to the the axle tube and the seal prevents the axle soil used to lubricate the differential, pinion, and outer hub from leaking. There are 2 seals at the wheel. The O-ring around the axle shaft, rarely ever fails and the hub seal, between the hub and axle housing tube.

Are you needing more help on this concern?

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris