Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

My name is ***** *****. I recently purchased a 2003 Ford

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I recently purchased a 2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab. Today my truck started on its own. Literally. Without the key in it and while I was in the comfort of my living room. It did this three times in 90 minutes. Any idea of what is going on?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. When it does this I go out to the truck. When I step on the brake pedal, the engine will then shut off. Right now I had to disconnect the battery to prevent it from starting on its own.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.

Hello, engine size? did you get any key fobs? was the buy from dealer or private party?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
7.3 turbo diesel. No key fobs and the only key I have looks aftermarket. Its not branded as ford. Got it from a dealer two days ago. This all started today when I got home from work.

I am going to opt out, I am unsure on this one

Expert:  Ray M. replied 10 months ago.

Your truck must have a remote start installed, it is usually installed under the drivers side of the dash, it will be a black box with quite a few wires running in and out of it, they usually have a cold start feature which can be set to start the vehicle when the temp drops below a certain point. This feature must be defective and starting the truck. to disable it, look under the hood, there should be a push switch that is activated by opening or closing the hood, pull the wire off this switch and that will disable the remote start. Or you can have a mechanic rmove the module and do away with it all together.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Ray. That was exactly it. The dealership neglected to tell me about a remote start system in the truck. I'm not sure they even knew. It is a Viper system, could not find a switch to disable it so I unhooked it from module itself. This was an extremely weird experience.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 10 months ago.

Glad you found the problem, A lot of times the dealers don't know there is a remote start installed if the customer doesn't tell them or provide the remote. Thank you for using JustAnswer.