A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I idled my ford c max stupidly while on a call and used up

Customer Question

I idled my ford c max stupidly while on a call and used up the battery. Will plugging it in charge the ignition battery or is that plug in capability separate from the ignition? I may be stuck in SF and I do not want a dead battery on the bridge.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 10 months ago.

The vehicles computer system will sense a low engine battery and start the engine. Extended idle will not drain the battery. Th3 computers will start the engine when either battery, the engine or the Hybrid battery is getting low. If the engine battery is shorted or drained, the engine will not start nor the vehicle will not start. Plugging the vehicle in will only charge the Hybrid battery and not the engine battery which is mounted in the rear of the vehicle under the rear package tray on the passenger side. Have the engine battery tested and/or replaced.