C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

What would cause my 2006 Expedition to whine when I

Customer Question

What would cause my 2006 Expedition to whine when I accelerate
Category: Ford
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

There are several possible reasons why it can whine. Where does it sound like the whine noise is coming from? Engine, Radio, Wheel,?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine

If the Whine Noise is coming from the engine the most common cause is from the Power Steering or the Transmission. Normally, when the problem is the same regardless of which direction the wheels are turned, and the assist is fine off idle, the problem is either air in the system, or a pump problem. Watch the fluid in the reservoir for excessive turbulence and aeration. If seen, remove and drain the reservoir, and check for a torn or out of place screen/orifice on the return inlet of the reservoir. If the fluid in the reservoir is normal, replace the power steering pump. If the isssue is not the power steering pump I suspect it is possibly the transmission. Inspect the fluid level and condition on the transmission. Adjust the fluid level as needed. If the fluid level is correct and the fluid appears to be in good condition, remove the fluid pan and inspect the fit of the transmission filter looking for a potential air leak. Address the filter as needed. If the transmission fluid smells burns or shows signs of metallic or fiber material, recommend transmission overhaul or replacement.