Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I went out and started my 89 f150 5.0 2 days ago started and

Customer Question

Customer: I went out and started my 89 f150 5.0 2 days ago started and ran fine went to start it yesterday and heard fuel pump but when I turned it over nothing like it has no spark ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All I can say is it cranks over and I smell fuel but it won't fire it seems like !
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you pull the coil wire off of the coil and crank the engine over , do you see a nice blue spark out of the coil?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need help for that right ?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Yes you will need someone to crank the engine over for you while you watch for fire out of the coil.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If there is none is it the control module?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

In most cases the loss of spark on your 1989 is usually due to a failing ignition module and in most cases due to the age of the truck you should also consider replacing the distributor pick up coil located inside of the distributor when replacing the module.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You have to pull the distributor to replace the pickup right?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you need to line the rotor up with #1 on the cap, remove the distributor and then remove the roll pin from the drive gear and the gear has to be pressed off. Once the gear is off the shaft come out to access the pick up coil.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It would be easier just to replace the whole distributor wouldn't it?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Yes it actually would . Save you a lot of head ache if you do not have access to a press .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok if I put a new one in how do I go about timing it ?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

To time it, remove the SPOUT connector that should be taped to the harness the the ignition module and once you have the distributor set at TDC with the rotor pointed at #1 on the cap start the engine and set base timing at 10 degrees BTDC and tighten it down. Then reinstall the SPOUT connector and your good to go.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I know if I have the new one in the right position?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Actually #1 is marked on the cap and once the rotor is pointed at it the timing mark on the harmonic balancer should point at 0 degrees which is top dead center.