Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2001 F I have a f-250 with the ***** ***** 50

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2001 F I have a f-250 with the ***** ***** 50 front. is there a way to install the inner oil seals without the special tool? already ripped it apart only to realize you needed a special tool and with the blizzard coming tomorrow, really need to get it back together.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is***** am trying to find out if there is another way to install the inner axle oil seals for a ***** ***** 50 monobeam axle from a 2001 F-250
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). All experts are independent contractors here at Just Answer none are employees, we do not get a paycheck or benefits from JA. We work for the customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Yes you can do it without the special tool. Using a socket, or seal installer and tapping the seal into place with a hammer where the differential would be or using the same tool and a long rod out the axle tube and hit it there with a hammer to drive it in. I do not use the special tool, because I do not want to spend the time in my dealers tool room looking for it from the prior tech misplacing it.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I only receive a portion of your deposit when you rate. If you do not rate or rate bad, the website keeps all of the deposit you have already paid.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that approach but have ruined two $75.00 seals by driving them in too far. There does not seem to be a stop that it goes up to. The deal has a certain depth that the special tool sets it so it won't go any further (driven into the axle tube itself). It doesn't go flush to the carrier bearing either, I assume this is so in order to keep sufficient gear lube on the beating and to kind of present a little space for lube to be retained/restricted in order to lube the seal itself. There is a small ring and offset in where the seal goes but it is less than 1/16" in offset. My guess is that the seal is supposed to go to this point and stop but it is very easy while trying to "seat" the seal to hit it one more time and drive it all the way into the axle tube. This is what I've done twice. Thinking I'm seating the seal but in actuality, driving it into the axle tube.Is this extremely small offset where the seal gets driven to? I am not sure that the inside top edge of the seal is supposed to this point. Any less and the seal just falls out into the carrier and will not stay in place. Much more and it gets pushed into the axle tube. Does this sound correct? Thank you for your time. Wish I could attach a picture or video to show you what I'm talking about.I don't want to do this again so am trying to make sure it correct. Also, I'm a maintenance supervisor for a helicopter repair facility. Working on helos has made me a perfectionist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again, Dana 50 mono beam axle, 2001 Ford F-250

You drive the seal into the housing about 1/4 inch past where it would be flush up against the back of the differential side bearing race.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris