George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 90 ranger and the a/c switch does not light up when

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have a 90 ranger and the a/c switch does not light up when pushed. I checked fuse and its okay so I wanted to know what to check next.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The a/c was working the other day and just stopped being cold but the fan still blows and was cold before it quit working.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 10 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Has this been converted to 134a refrigerant?

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt testlight to check the circuit if I guide you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Great, please check the pressure switch to see if it shows 12 volts or ground. To check ground put the lead of the testlight or voltmeter to the positive post of the battery and if you see 12 volts then you have ground.

Let me know if you need locations or wire colors

Thank you

Double check fuse #7 in the fuse panel, that is what gives power to the switch and to the bulb in the switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is there a relay for the a/c and which one would it be? I will double check #7 and pressure switch

The only relay is the WOT relay which openes the circuit turning the compressor off when you have the throttle more than 75% open. If the light does not come on then you have a problem in the power supply from fuse #7 or the switch is failed.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks checked switch and turns out circuit is open

That would do it, car-part.com is a good place to find used parts.

Let me know how i can help

Thank you