Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

My name is ***** *****. I just had a weird thing with my

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****. I just had a weird thing with my Ford Explorer 2011.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. I drove to work and parked up as usual. Did nothing out of the ordinary. Then when I went to go out at lunchtime, I turn the key and ... nothing. The beeps go on, lights, radio, etc, but engine did not start at all. AAA came out, and they proved battery was OK, and said it could be starter. They sent a tow truck. He came, and he noticed a flashing red car-with-lock symbol on bottom left of console. He says that looks like an alarm system - either key is no longer valid/recognized, or there could be a fault with the alarm system He says it's relatively common in Escapes It's getting towed to a garage, and he said to try the spare (which I have at home). He tried to reset the alarm system but was not able to do so.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Basically - how can I reset the inhibitor (or whatever is blocking me starting the car).Really, I fail to see why keys need to be "coded" or "programmed" ... a simple key suffices. It's just plain stupidity. A key should be a key.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

I understand your frustration completely when it comes to the keys! I have a Ford Edge that had the same issue happen to me, twice! So I know what a customer goes through with these.

Ford has done the PATS system for several years now. It is because Ford was the number one stolen vehicle for awhile and having a programmed key setup has dropped that number quite a bit. Now Hondas are the number one stolen.

With the key not working or the spare, either the vehicle has suddenly lost programming from a battery malfunction (I see it a lot) or the reader that site behind the dash is going bad/is bad. Try turning the key on, then waiving the spare in front of the dash area, just under the radio, to the right of the steering wheel, about even with the key switch. See if it will read the key and start. If not, then have the garage you are at use a Ford IDS tool and pull the PATS information up to see if there are any faults. If no faults, reprogram for the keys and see what it does.

It is a pain in the backside and I am this close to getting rid of my Edge because of it. The vehicle is comfortable otherwise, but I can;t stand the PATS system myself due to the flaws it tends to always have. When it acts up, it will leave a person stranded.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?