Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

, I have a 2003 F-150 4.6 and it has not gave me any

Customer Question

Customer: good evening
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2003 F-150 4.6 and it has not gave me any problems until yesterday when all of a sudden when I parked at a rest area the service engine light came on and it started to idle rough and stall at times
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed out the fuel filter and eliminated that..it don't idle rough at all times but it surges and then stalls and eventually will cut off
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Do you have ability to check for trouble codes in the PCM (Engine Computer)?
Do you know anybody that has a code reader or anyplace you can rent or borrow one from?
The codes will narrow down what is causing the problem you have described. There are way too many causes for this problem for me to guess at the cause.