Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2001 ford explorer and my truck won't start. i turn the key

Customer Question

2001 ford explorer and my truck won't start. i turn the key and nothing happens but i have power. what and how do i diagnose what the problem is here? like how to test battery spark and fuel that kind of stuff? thanks so much for your professional help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). No experts here are Just Answer employees, we do not get a paycheck or benefits from JA. We are independent contractors, only paid when you rate our answer.

I need to confirm it will not crank (engine spinning)? You mentioned checking spark which would prevent starting, not the ability to crank. Does it at least click when trying to start?

Is the theft light off with the key on?

Will it crank in neutral?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see all lights on the dash when i try to start it but nothing happens. no clicking no starter noise nothing.

Is the theft light off with the key on?

Will it crank in neutral?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it will not crank in neutral. ya theft light goes off when i try to start

Thanks, ***** ***** remove the starter relay under the hood and see if there are 2 pins there with battery power when trying to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you explain that please. how do i test for poweR? when cranking and which pin and what voltage am i looking for?

Can you remove the starter relay under the hood and see if there are 2 pins (check them all) there with battery power ( the same power the battery has, a good battery has 12.6 volts) (using a test light or volt meter)when trying to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i have 12 volts

On 2 pins correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Great, have someone hold the key in the start position. Now install and remove the relay, it should click in your finger tips. If it does then install it because it is working. Now onto the starter, there is a large wire to it that should have battery voltage all the time. There is a small wire to it from the relay. Since the relay is working, this wire should be getting battery voltage when trying to start. If both of those wires pass and the starter will not spin and crank the engine, then the starter is bad.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If you do not see the rating scale, or are new and confused, let me know.

I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

I only receive a portion of your deposit when you rate. If you do not rate or rate bad, the website keeps all of the deposit you have already paid.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so here is the new deal- after hitting the starter it will crank all day! Horay! But it won't catch. My friend had this spark plug tool so we used it it has spark on all cylinders. But it won't start. We changed fuel pump relays out with a good relay but nothing happened still won't catch. Where do we go from here?Update I was able to get a pressure gauge on the fuel and it read nothing when cranking. Do I need a pump!

Since it now will crank we need to see what is missing. Those things include:

Theft light off and not flashing with the key on

Fuel pressure

Injector pulse

Ignition spark

Compression

Let me know which you have, the readings you get, and what you need help doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have spark, cranking sounds good, and we have no fuel pressure.

Can you access the fuel pump to check the power and ground there and or see if there is power flowing in and out of the inertia switch when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i doubt it. i did take off the fuel filter for kicks and try to start the car. it trickles gas out but nothing more.

Since you are not able to do the diag. How do you feel I can help you on this concern so your pleased with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well like i said i have zero pressure so the pump is good?

If you have zero fuel pressure, that does not mean the pump is good. That means the pump is bad, restricted or not getting power or ground.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris