Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have 2003 ford expedition 5.4 4wd. No start No crank.

Customer Question

I have 2003 ford expedition 5.4 4wd. No start No crank. Buzzing noise coming from passenger side fuse box. Message center says error prndl for a moment and goes away. Turn key to start engine and nothing but a buzzing. I pulled all the relays starting with the starter one from the fuse box one by one and buzzing continues with key on and relays out. Relays do not have any corrosion on the contacts. What is my next move?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). No experts here are Just Answer employees, we do not get a paycheck or benefits from JA. We are independent contractors, only paid when you rate our answer.

Will it crank in neutral?

Is the battery voltage good at 12.6 volts?

With the starter relay removed, the key held in the start position are there 2 pins at the relay showing battery voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not crank in neutral nor any other position. Voltage is good. Battery is new. Swapped in after problem started. I will have to check the voltage at the pins. Away from vehicle at moment, it quit at a friends house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also forgot to mention that I do not hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system. The buzzing sound stopped on one attempt to start and all I heard was clicking from the fuse box when key was moved to start position but still no fuel pump noise. The very next attempt about 30 sec later the buzzing started back up and still continues with no more clicking. I believe that clicking was the relay engaging. That only happened one 1 attempt to start.

Thanks, ***** ***** when ready on those relay test results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there other relays not visible that are on the inside of the fuse box?

What relay is it your trying to find?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just trying to figure what was causing the buzzing because I still hear it with the relays out of the box.

Non serviceable relays built into the fuse box are:

trailer tow reverse lamp relay

fan clutch relay

battery saver relay

horn relay

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If you do not see the rating scale, or are new and confused, let me know.

I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

I only receive a portion of your deposit when you rate. If you do not rate or rate bad, the website keeps all of the deposit you have already paid.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris