Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have an 01 taurus, dohc. The problem is excessive rpms and

Customer Question

Customer: I have an 01 taurus, dohc . The problem is excessive rpms and with that it accelerates on its own. I have replaced the IAC and TPS. I have also cleaned the throttle body and inspected the throttle cables for binding, tested several times for any excessive air leaking from anywhere with no avail, and checked all connections, elbows and vacuum lines.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Idle rpms around 1100 at all times. When I hit the accelerator the idle hangs around 1500 to 1700 for thirty to fourty five seconds. I have also cleaned the mas. I know the mas is intergrated with the air temp sensor but I have not replaced this part yet because there is absolutely no stumbling or rough idle.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Thats fine thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I forgot to add that I had to put the old IAC back on because the new one was tipping the rpms even higher.( idle 13-1500, hanging around 2000 after acceleration) I reset the computer both times.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Hello, is the throttle stop screw backed up all the way?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is out most of the way and I examined the butterfly and that closes like it should.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The throttle is not hanging at all and it still idling high after it closes. I had the air box off to make sure it was functioning properly.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I forgot to say as well that it has not thrown a check engine light and I do not have a code, I'm stumped as to what is causing this. There are no misfires or stumbling just a high idle that slowly accelerates the car in gear. Almost as if a component it demanding more air/fuel without being asked.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Ok is the screw has the throttle plate open even a crack it will make a large difference in RPM. You can also unplug the IAC and see what the idle goes too.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry I'm not sure you can help me . Thanks anyway