Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1993 f150 302 jumps from 8 to 6cyl then runs fine
,

Customer Question

Customer: 1993 f150 302 jumps from 8 to 6cyl then runs fine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: engine lite comes on lack of power then bang runs great lots of power in an hour it will happen 2 3 times .new fuel pump rotor dist plugs wires all sensors replaced also egr
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

When the check engine light come on, do you know what the fault code and or codes its setting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a code reader it just shows running on 8 then 6cyl no other codes show up
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Are you able to watch the timing when the problem is occurring and see if it become erratic?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
new timeingchain all sensors replaced egr on cold starts surges smell gas acts like its flooding rev up engine then good until I start to drive good power then lack of power then all is good after 15 20 min it starts over again
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Spark timing is controlled by the computer and I would like you to try and look at the timing with a timing light hooked up while the problem is occurring and see if its erratic and not holding steady.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I live in middle of nowere don't have timming lite
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Well I am think the problem you are having is an electronic control concern if its coming and going. If the computer is loosing the PIP signal from the distributor Pick up it can cause this type of problem. Why dont you try disconnecting the SPOUT connector and see if it then runs right. There will be a little loss of power with it removed but can you try this and let me know the results?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is spout connector
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The SPOUT connector is the connector that has to be removed to set the distributor timing. If you do not have a timing light and you did not remove the SPOUT , how did you set the timing ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not set timing it was done at shop 2yrs ago
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Well then we are back to checking the timing while the problem is occurring. You will need a timing light to do this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well Ron it seems like you cannot help thanks George
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately you are right, If you are not able to check these things, anything I suggest would simply be guessing and I am not prepared to do that.