Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 99 ford ranger, and yesterday ran great. today it

Customer Question

Customer: hi there i have a 99 ford ranger, and yesterday ran great. today it will crank put not turn over. it would not even take a jump. please help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you want to know
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

See if the engine will start up for a few seconds with starting fluid sprayed into the throttle body. If you don't have none, listen if the fuel pump runs for a few seconds once you turn the key to run, the check engine light comes on then goes off and stays off and there are no security or theft messages. If the fuel pump doesn't run put your finger on the relay and feel if it's clicks when first turning the key to run. If it does check the inertia switch. If the relay does click and the inertia switch is fine, check the fuel pump fuse.

If the fuel pump does run, check for spark. Or check the fuses for the ignition, coils, ecm/pcm etc.