Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I'm ***** ***** got stuck in a snow drift this morning and

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I'm ***** ***** got stuck in a snow drift this morning and got out but now my steering is a little tight when turning,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when making a gradual turn nor problem but when making a tighter turn the steering is stiff
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

I'd say that you may have damaged a bottom balljoint, or a steering column joint ?

So I'd 1st suggest jacking the car up so the front wheels are off the ground and then move the road wheels form lock to lock , feeling for tight spots

also check for worn suspension joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.

Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you