Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

I have a 1997 Ford expedition 5.4 L 125,000 miles on it it's

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Ford expedition 5.4 L 125,000 miles on it it's basically a summertime vehicle to take the family to the lake on selected weekends. The check Winget engine light is on and it's saying it needs a O2 sensor The car is running fine doesn't seem to be any issues with the performance and I don't feel like getting it fixed will it damage my engine to run the vehicle with this issue
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

When you have an Oxygen Sensor that is faulty, this will not produce any noticable engine performance issues for quite some time. Over time, this "can" lead to premature failure of other parts/sensors in other systems, as the input from the oxygen sensor is used by the on-board computer to calculate correct fuel and air ratios. So this means you very well may see a decrease in fuel economy. So, as of right now- no harm being done. But, it may be something to have addressed sometime in the future, seeing as it's not all that expensive of a repair. The sensor sells for around $61 and the Labor Time Guide calls for under an hour to replace any one of them (there are 4 on this vehicle). If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in with you. Were there any other questions you had on this issue?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

..