rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2001 f150 5.4, heat gets warm but not hot and

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2001 f150 5.4, heat gets warm but not hot and everything pointed to the blend door. Just got done cutting a hole in the dash to get to the duct which I cut into and the blend door is working. I can put my hand on the heater core and with truck idling I can feel it heat up. When i turn on the heat the heater core cools off. Also sounds like ac compressor is cutting on and off. If I let truck warm up and turn heat on I have hot air but within 20 to 30 seconds it's cool air.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This is common if the heater core is getting plugged up or if the T stat is not opening all the way.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can't I check the heater core by feeling the hoses to see if both heat up
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't understand the ac compressor kicking on and off
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Yes, but that doesn't identify any blockage. Keep the AC/defrost off right now and do check the T stat like I said.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, I'm going to replace the t'stat right now I'll be back
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Great, thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
new t'stat did not fix it. My son is in the truck now I had to leave after I installed the t'stat and wasn't able to check then. I guess I'll check heater core tomorrow. The what I understand it I just let truck heat up and check to see if both heater hoses are hot. Is that correct?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

That's right.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok just checked hoses when my son pulled up and hose toward drivers side is hot, one toward passenger side not as hot.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still trying to figure this out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where are you at Ronald
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

You should have this system flushed with a cooling system flushing machine.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I drained radiator when I replaced t'stat, fluid didn't look that bad . Can you explain what the flushing will do. I know it would be good maintenance, but I'm not seeing how that will fix the ac cutting on when I turn the heat on.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

It goes through the whole block of the motor too.

Thanks, ***** ***** don't forget to rate me and keep this link for future reference.