Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2004 Freestar stalls at idle, whining (like fanbelt) occurs,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. 2004 Freestar stalls at idle, whining (like fanbelt) occurs, two trouble codes on the obdii....c1288 and u1059
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Cold weather start (-4C) and loud whining that sounds like fan belt but not sure; yesterday check engine light on, the two codes noted above, and stalls when at idle with transmission engaged, but put into neutral at stop lights and still runs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure, no rush
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

For the whine noise, remove the belt and start the engine for a 4 minute max run, that will tell you if its a belt driven pulley to blame. If it is then use a stethoscope to listen to each pulley while the noise is occurring.

For the stalling, most often a faulty IAC valve and dirty MAF sensor.

C1288 see if the cruise is inop, if so, then replace the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder.

U1059 I need to know which module stored the code?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If you are unable to rate my response GOOD or EXCELLENT now. Please let me know why ( if I need to help more) and when you will be able to.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris