HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My 2012 F15 Ford Ecoboost 4x4 has 93000+ miles. At low speed

Customer Question

My 2012 F15 Ford Ecoboost 4x4 has 93000+ miles. At low speed there is a grinding sound coming from underneath. It makes the noise when the wheels are on the ground but will not when on the rack. I have had it to two different garages and no one has produced an answer to what is causing the noise.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if the noise goes away if you shift it into 4x4 high while driving it is an issue with one of the front 4x4 actuators at the wheel end left or right. When in***** vacuum is applied to the front hubs to disengage the front halfshafts. In 4x4 vacuum is removed and the actuators release and allow the axles to lock into 4x4. Its a live front axle. The vacuum actuators get hard and stick over time and cause the front axles to grind usually on a turn or driving at different speeds. Common issue with these or an issue with the solenoid that regulates vacuum which if failed would be in 4x4 all the time.Replacing the front wheel end vacuum actuator would resolve this issue

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?