James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus that was supposedly in good

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus that was supposedly in good working condition, but sat in a back yard for almost a year. When I test drove it all was smooth, but it developed idling problems at long lights, slow hard shake, sounded like it might stall. The mechanic and done some flushing previously. He tried a fuel injection. I drove in long distance several times, better but problem returns. So he said idle valve needed replacement. That stopped the shaking but slight problem with surging while idling. Tachometer for idling starts at the 8 mark, then after a few seconds surges up to the 1.1/2? mark for a second or two and then goes back down. Whenever my foot is off the gas at whatever speed it does this, but at higher speeds surging in not significant. However when parking or creeping it is dangerous since the car arbitrarily surges and requires quick braking action not to run into things. Also difficult to keep speed down in school zones or even 25mph areas. Is this just a valve adjustment matter or more serious?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Hello, after the vehicle sat for a year how much fuel was in the tank? It can tank a couple full tanks of fuel in order to clean out the system and get clean fuel back to the injectors. I would also replace the fuel filter because it has plugged up also from sitting.