EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ford F-150 Lariat: My 2008 Ford F150 Lariat just clicks and

Customer Question

My 2008 Ford F150 Lariat just clicks and will not start
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 10 months ago.
Hi. The first thing you should do is to check for power at the small wire on the starter when cranking it. That will tell for sure if you have a bad starter or power is not getting to the starter. Is that something you can do?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

How do I check for power on the starter? I don't even know where it is

The starter is on the passenger side underneath the vehicle. It mounts to the transmission.
TO check for power to it you need a test light. You hook the test light no negative side of battery then probe the small wire on the starter when the key is in CRANK position.
On the starter is 2 wires. I big one and a small one. The big one should have power all the time. The small one should have power only when the key is in CRANK. If it lights the test light in CRANK then the starter is bad. If the test light does not light on the small wire in CRANK then power is not making it to the starter.
Let me know if you still need some more info. Thanks.