Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My name is ***** ***** and I have a problem starting my 82

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** and I have a problem starting my 82 Mustang..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It was running fine before my son turned it off, then it just cranks strongly, but doesn't hit. I sprayed starting fluid in the carb and still no spark. We changed the ignition control module, then the ignition coil. it started for 2 seconds then died again! stumped now...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sarmiento22556 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I will try to help you with your concern.

I see you are having trouble starting your 1982 Ford Mustang

you will need to check and make sure that the ignition module is getting all the proper power and ground signals to even fire the plugs.

do you need the wiring diagram an do you have access to a test light and a volt meter?

what size motor is in the mustang?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a test light and wiring diagram. The plugs were wet like he ran thru deep puddle, we did dry them out, but what could that have shorted
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It has a 5.0 in it now, but not original and it looks like not original wiring either, so its hard to troubleshoot with diagram

were the plugs wet before you started repeatedly trying to start it and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb?

It has a aftermarket ignition system in it? what brand?