Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Own a 2001 ford 7.3 turbo diesel. it started making a

Customer Question

Customer: Own a 2001 ford 7.3 turbo diesel. it started making a whining noise under power and it seems to not be going through a cleanout cycle
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: FYI i'm doug eric. it just started yesterday. when i put the motor under a load it makes a horrible whining sound. the more the load the louder the whine. i also noticed the exhaust guage doesn't go through a cleanout cycle. its also blowing a lot of smoke when first starting
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure 28 bucks might save a lot of hassle
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it also seems the exhaust restrictor is staying on even when warm
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

What color is the smoke on startup, blue, white or black?

What is the temp in your area on cold start?

While driving does the boost seem adequate?

Is the vehicle stock or does it have aftermarket modifications?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Smoke is blueish truck is stock with straight pipe exhaust. Turbo does seem a lititle sluggish but still gives boost. Exhaust doesn't seem to be doing clean out cycle
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Temp in 203 to 30s. Truck starts fine. I always let it warm up and cool down
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This just started after a cold few days. Ran perfectly till a cold spell
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

A 2001 is not equipped with a regeneration exhaust clean cycle. Even if it could, its a straight pipe system, there is nothing to clean out now. You may need to test your glow plugs, there may be one or more faulty and or the wire harness in the valve cover gasket may be bad and not powering them. Can you check around the exhaust manifold, exhaust pipes in and out of the turbo, and the cold air charge tubes and intercooler for signs of leak, shown from residue on joints?

If you are unable to rate my response GOOD or EXCELLENT now. Please let me know why ( if I need to help more) and when you will be able to.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey moose, I found a problem. It was just a loose clamp going to the turbo. It was sucking ait and that was causing the howling. All is good thanks for your help

Glad you found the problem and thanks for rating my answer.