Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 1999 f350 super duty. Fuel gauge read incorrect and

Customer Question

I have a 1999 f350 super duty. Fuel gauge read incorrect and sometimes sluggish to start. Charging system and batteries check out fine. Could this be an issue with the fuel pump and sending unit in the tank?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

What liter engine is in your truck?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 7.3, I have not checked fuel pressure. How do I go about doing that?

Below are 2 links, one for checking the fuel pressure and one for checking the cluster, fuel sender, and wiring.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/fuelpressure.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/testC1.pdf

If you are unable to rate my response GOOD or EXCELLENT now. Please let me know why ( if I need to help more) and when you will be able to.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Chris, where do I get this gauge? Do I have to buy one or is it something that a part store loans out?

Most parts stores do rent or loan fuel pressure gauges.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris I appreciate your help. To be honest with you I checked a video on YouTube that cleared things up. Where to connect gauge and so on. Unfortunately the gauge I got was missing a part I needed so I will have to get another one tomorrow. I will stay in contact though.

Do you need any more assistance from me, so that you will want to rate my answer?

How did you make out on the test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going out to get another tester today. I will let you know. Don't you think though that the incorrect readings on the fuel gushed are because of the sending unit? I don't know why it would be anything else.

More than likely it is the fuel pump, but I can do better than most likely showing you how to test the wiring and other related components prior to spending money on a new pump educated guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I go about testing the wiring that you suggested?

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Have I helped you prior. I can see nothing I have written on this post prior? Below is a copy of all I can see.

13 Jan 2016, 7:52 PM

So how do I go about testing the wiring that you suggested?

12 Feb 2016, 11:27 AM