Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with Intelligent 4WD. Always went

Customer Question

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with Intelligent 4WD. Always went good in snow and wet roads. Now it front axle slips & spins, no indicator light comes on the dashboard, and doesn't appear rear axle is engaging. Couldn't go up a driveway with just a dusting of snow. What should I tell the dealership to look for?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

I would start by checking the codes in the 4wd control module. I would think there will be a clue in there (if it will even communicate) If not then the module itself is probably bad (which I suspect)

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you. THanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is the control module located? How difficult would it be for me to replace myself?

Its under the center console. Once you pull the console unplug it, unbolt it, bolt in the new one and plug it back in. Its not that hard if you are able to pull the console without breaking stuff.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How will I know what I am looking at? Is there anything else under the console?
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 10 months ago.

The module connector is listed on the attached diagram. That should help you to locate it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dealership says it PTO. It's going to be very expensive.

It doesnt have to be. You are best off going to an independant shop and getting quotes on a used unit. Theres plenty of good ones sitting in salvage yards and I bet you could get the whole job done for 6 or 7 hundred at an independant with a used unit. If you give me your zip code I can see if I can locate a used one in your area.