John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician 32 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
78680981

1989 ford f250, 7.5 engine temp was 10 below, truck started

Customer Question

1989 ford f250, 7.5 engine
temp was 10 below, truck started fine, left it running to warm up but when I went out the engine was dead and would not turn over as the cylinders were full of gas. I had to take out all the spark plugs to get it to turn over. I did get it started but now the engine is running very rich ( like the old ones with a stuck choke).
The pump is running at 35-40 pounds and it holds the pressure for quite awhile after shuting it off. It shows codes 67 and11. The pumps shut off after 2or 3 seconds after you turn the switch on just like they are should so I don't know how so much gas got in.What do I do?
Duke
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Vieira replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can help you tonight. I am going to look something up for your truck, but I am working on it. My first thought is maybe your fuel pressure regulator is stuck, but I need to look up how much pressure a working fuel pressure should be.

Have you looked at your EGR valve to make sure it is not stuck open? Also, could your exhaust system possibly be plugged? Does it sound like it's choking out? If you think that could be happening separate the cat converter from the pipe and allow it to breathe and see if that doesn't help clear things up. There is also a possibility from the gas getting in there, the spark plugs could be fouled and need some maintenance like being cleaned or replaced. Please let me know if I was on the right track with your issue, and I am happy to help you until this issue is resolved, thank you and have a great night.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I 'm sure the exhaust is not plugged. I sand blasted the spark plugs. Today I changed the what I think is called the map sensor ( the thing on the right fire wall with one vacuum line and about 4 wires) and it made no difference. The engine starts up fine but then starts loading up and black smoke comes out. I will check the EGR tomorrow. I hear the 02 sensor can make them run rich but I don't think it could be this bad.

I have a kit to check exhaust pressure--I will do that also. The exhaust is quite loud is the reason I think it is not plugged.

I'm thinking , if the fuel regulator froze and over pressured the system and the engine stalled, why didn't the pump stop---it had to run a long time to pump that much gas in the engine. Do think if the regulator froze and over pressured the system it could have ruined the enjectors ?

I do not believe the injectors were damage because all it can do is overcome the valve and then return to normal conditions. I think it is wise to check the EGR next as you are planning on doing today, that is what my next move would be. The DPFE sensor should be looked at too, it monitors the back pressure in the exhaust, and in the EGR. There are two hoses coming off the exhaust, that's where the DPFE sensor is hooked to. Let me know how it's going, but I will not be available again until after 5 pm this evening California time. Have a great day and I hope we have narrowed down or isolated the issue you are having. Thanks John

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Checked the EGR, it is fine, checked the exhaust pressure and it was close to zero at idle and up to 2000 rpm. A friend said to check the coolant temp sender as if it is bad it tells the computer it is -40 and puts much fuel in the engine. Does this make sense to you?

What your friend says does make sense. Yes, if the temp. sensor is telling the engine that it is cold it will always richen up the fuel mixture. I agree.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

John, I installed a new coolant temp sensor and it seemed to cure the over rich problem, took the truck for a hard run, it ran great. But I went to move it later it was very hard to get started and now idles too fast. Some time it will start like it should but usually takes many tries before it starts.

Spark is good and fuel pressure is still 35 to 40. I erased the code and #67 came back. What do you think?

Duke

.

Duke, Hello

Have you cleaned your throttle body. A dirty one will make it act up, make the IAC work too hard and be out of whack just like you described. The best way to clean those is to take it off the intake and get a carb cleaner and clean the sludge from around the throttle plates and so forth. I am sending you what I found out about the code 67.

One more thing

I have to go to to the shop now, but I will look over this as soon as I get home, thanks and have a good day.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Cleaned the throttle body ( it was about as clean as any I have looked at) but it didn't make any change, I also replaced the spark plugs- it had those things with the four grounds which I don't like, I have no luck getting codes with the engine running. I have to go to town tomorrow ( 35 miles) and just on a hunch I think I will get a new MAP sensor and try that.

Duke

John, have I lost you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it has been two days, did we loose contact?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

john

Have I lost you?