HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My name is ***** ***** Hasenjager. My 99 ford explorer

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Hasenjager. My 99 ford explorer starts most of the time but at least once a week it will not start. I brought it to a Ford dealer and they found nothing wrong. If I try to start it and keep trying, it will start after many tries like 10 or more.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it turns over OK. It almost feel like the fuel drained back in the tank and it takes a while to get fuel. Once it starts it runs fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: no not now
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when it cranks and doesnt start does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on and go out when cranking or stay on when cranking? Cranks normally, doesnt drag or sound like a hiccup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son drives the car so I have to wait until we have a problem again to check the warning light. It cranks normally....no drag or hiccup
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, long as there is no issue with the red theft lamp for the ignition secruity key I would think a possible problem with the crankshaft position sensor which is the rpm signal to fire the coils and fuel injectors to run. When it has a good signal the check engine light should turn off when cranking

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine goes out when cranking.....now what else could it be ?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Does the check engine light turn off when it doesnt start? No diagnostic trouble codes stored when checked with a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light goes out when it doesn't start while cranking. I can't check codes but the Ford dealer had it for a full day and did a full diagnostic and could find nothing wrong.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

The need to make sure the pcm is getting an rpm signal with a scan tool and if you have injector pulse or spark when it will not crank, one or both, if both are missing, its no rpm signal from the crank sensor or no driver signal to ground from the pcm itself.