Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Have a 99 7.3l diesel truck. If I hook jumper cables to it

Customer Question

Have a 99 7.3l diesel truck. If I hook jumper cables to it it starts right up. Otherwise won't even crank at all nothing! ! Have replaced batteries, terminals, relay, starter and alternator. I can't figure this out help!! What else could it be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Can you try this for me. Hook up just the ground cable with the jumper cables and see if the truck starts and then vice versa with the power. This can help out a lot in diagnosing the issue for if the truck starts with the ground, the ground cable is bad internally or at the ground point. If the power does it, then there will need to be more looked into for the starter is needing a lot of extra amperage to get it to crank. That can be the starter needs a different solenoid or maybe even a bad starter cable. The cable could be damaged or corroded internally and not allowing enough electron flow through the strands to give enough amperage to crank. Adding the jumper cable is like giving the electrons steroids and they will flow faster through the wiring.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Replaced the ground cable already
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's there an inline fuse or something from alternator to batteries?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

Yes, there is an inline fuse. It should be about 6 inches from the alternator. You also have another one between the 2 batteries as well.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?