Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I Changed The Drivers Side Head Gasket yesterday in my 1995

Customer Question

I Changed The Drivers Side Head Gasket yesterday in my 1995 Crown Vic 4.6 double overhead cam engine. I could not find the cam lock down tool so I set it to tdc on the compretion stroke and marked the timing gear and chain . I noticed that when I released the timing chain that the tension on the chain jumped back about 1/4 inch.how should I proceed from here. don't want to bend the valves.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

If you mean it moved the cam and not the crank then if its a full tooth off redo it and move it one tooth over. If its just a half tooth or something and it still appears to be in the right spot go ahead and roll it over twice and see if the marks still line up. It wont bend valves being one tooth off.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you. Thanks