Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a l996 ford Escort. The alternator does not charge

Customer Question

I have a l996 ford Escort. The alternator does not charge the battery.
The alternator keeps the motor running when the battery is disconnected. What can be the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Have you checked the alternator out put? I have seen alternators that fail to charge the battery only after the engine has been running for a half hour or so. check the alternator out put.

Also, don't disconnect your battery again while your engine is running. That's not a good way to test an alternator at all. Could actually cause quite a bit of damage to your electrical components. Check the alternator output voltage using an alternator tester which basically is just a few lights. the more lights the better, or use a DVOM and check the actual voltage. Please let me know how that goes.