rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a problem with my 2013 F-150 discharging the battery

Customer Question

I have a problem with my 2013 F-150 discharging the battery overnight. It doesn't happen regularly, but about every week. Nothing is left on. I have noticed at times when sitting in the pickup with everything off, the instrument panel lights up for no reason. This has happened since it was new. I have about 48k miles on it now. The dealer hasn't come up with an answer yet.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Rom what you state, this sounds like one of the computers not going to sleep as they should after the key is turned off. It is common for the PCM to do this for a while after it completes some tests on the EVAP system but the PCM is NOT related to the Instrument cluster with the exception that the I/C does have a gateway computer inside of it. A scan of the system may reveal this problem, but I am attaching a way to find it when it's actually doing it.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks again, Ron