Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

97 7.3motor hesitates only when cold f250

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Do you get the normal wait to start light and allow it to cycle? If so, your PCM is actuating the glow plug relay properly.

When was the last time the glow plugs were changed out? If it has been awhile or if never done, I would test them and see if they are acting up and not warming the engine up properly

When you mention cold, how cold? Does the engine run normally after about 10 minutes or does it take longer? I ask this because if the engine runs good after about 10 minutes, the glow plugs or the relay are the culprit. If it takes longer than 10 minutes and the temps are below freezing, plus the vehicle has been off for several hours in these temps, then the fuel heater would be more of the concern to look at. If the fuel heater is acting up, just swap it. They usally don't act up too much though. When they do, they pop the fuse #22 and the engine won't start.

I suggest testing the glow plugs and verify that you get the 12 volts out of the glow plug relay. Most likely one of the glow plugs is acting up and causing the rest to not do their job because the one bad glow plug is stealing all the amperage from the rest of the system. It is a really common concern in the cooler months or I should write, more noticeable in the cooler months than the warmer ones.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?