Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

Flip here... Just started troubleshooting a 99 ford

Customer Question

Customer: Flip here... Just started troubleshooting a 99 ford explorer. Acted like it was running out of gas earlier today. then it would run fine a few minutes and start missing sputtering. Ran fine for hour + after this. Now it starts Very low idle then stalls 2-3 seconds If I press gas it will not start and if I start it then gas it dies. if not touching the gas it will start but dies quick
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what else to say at this point. V6 engine and start without pressing gas its under 800RPM and dies. Pressing gas it will not start and if you press gas it dies as soon as you pres it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yea I just started searching.... 28 +/- bucks vs spending hours figuring out what to test would be fine with me.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took so long I had to run down to the ford to get the card. If signing up moves the conversation from chat to text can you please send the text to(###) ###-####cell has bad service at this location.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello Flip, have you checked fuel pressure yet? Also, have you checked for engine codes yet? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not I logged in to search some troubleshooting and got the chat message....
This a mentioned started early today kind of in and out would run for a few minutes fine then while on interstate would sound like it was missing - sputtering and then take off running OK. When I got off the highway it ran fine for over an hour and probably 45 miles. I stopped and when I went to leave I made it less than 1/4 mile Poof no more starting when it died. I have good electrical testing exp. but on fuel pressure is there an easy pointer on testing this?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

You need a fuel pressure gauge to check it, was the check engine light on when you were driving it and it started acting up? Did you see it come on at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On Ford I have no clue on testing codes or how to. I had a Volvo and an OBD2 scanner but I dont even know if 99 Ford uses OBD or how to test for codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Check gauges was on there is a temp sensor issue as well where the temp is always pegged ( i didnt mention because this has been like that since I got the truck a few weeks ago) I was actually going to parts store when it died.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, if it's pegged when it's cold, that's likely not it, If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, You can borrow one from an auto parts store, and there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail, screw the gauge into it, and see if it drops below 30 psi or so when it starts acting up. it sounds like fuel pressure to me if it doesn't have any codes in it. Which would mean the pump is suspect in the tank, or the filter is partially clogged. Anything else that would cause that, would likely set the check engine light and give you a code. So if it doesn't have a code, I'm leaning towards fuel pressure. If you can check codes and fuel pressure and let me know what you've got there, that will point us in the right direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TY I will start with Vac leaks and when ride gets here i will check pressure and let you know what I find- Thanks
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, check codes as well, vacuum leak should set one. Make sure hose from mass air flow sensor to throttle body is in good shape with no visible cracks anywhere as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Edward My troubleshoot got derailed due to weather. My fuel pressure is very low only ONCE did the truck start when It did I read 22# ***** pressure. Most of the time the pressure guage read 0-2, How do I tell if its the Pump - Filter or Regulator?