Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2004 ford f 150 lariat 4 x4 with 5.4 engine new body style.

Customer Question

Customer: 2004 ford f 150 lariat 4 x4 with 5.4 engine new body style. 4x4 stays locked in I found red plastic vacuum line that runs from the vacuum canister in behind the manifold has broken off I can not see where it goes from top or bottom it looked like it ran down on the back side of manifold with red plastic vacuum line from fuel rail regulater from other side of engine but both hoses ran right next to each other behind manifold not sure how to fix
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not really I just have the broken off end of the vacuum line coming up from behind the manifold I think it is the main vacuum line for the front locking hubs
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes if it will help me fix the problem
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

Is the 4x4 light staying on or just the front hubs staying locked?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no light on dash the hubs just stay locked in

The front hubs need engine vacuum to unlock. The solenoid that does this is on the firewall, squeezed in next to the battery. While running is there at least 15 inhg of vacuum to this solenoid?

Are there any lean codes, mpg issues, idle concerns which would indicate a vacuum leak issue?

Any way you can post a picture. Ford images in the repair guides are not live images?

If you are unable to rate my response GOOD or EXCELLENT now. Please let me know why ( if I need to help more) and when you will be able to.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I pulled the vacuum line off of the regulator on the fire wall and put a vacuum gauge on it with engine running and it had no vacuum looking at a few diagrams on the internet I determined that is the main vacuum line feeding the system so to speak. when I was pulling the line around behind the manifold it just broke im sure it was already broken I may hav100 miles since e done it when I changed plugs where two of the four that broke off were back next to fire wall. after plug change I have had rough idle at first that seemed to level out but I have also had lean bank 1 and 2 condition codes and bad mileage issues. I do not drive it much maybe less than 100 miles since plug change

Do you see the line in the file below?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/04vacuum.pdf

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no it runs off the regulator there is two inline vacuum check valves although one is between regulator and vacuum canister and the other is in the line that is broke and runs behind the manifold I was at the ford dealer to pick up check valves which both are bad and they had an exploded view diagram but it did not show how or where in connects in between engine and firewall

The line that you have broken off and in hand does it have vacuum while running ir does it need vacuum from the other end that you can not find?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it needs vacuum from the other end

With the engine running, spray short bursts of starting fluid or brake cleaner. This will find the other end because that vacuum line will suck in the spray and cause it to rev the engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I bought a can of carb cleaner today to spray around intake manifold and other places like pcv connections both ends. I did not think of spraying it behind the manifold were that line runs to. I'm not sure that if engine revs which I feel confident it will that I could tell were it is exactly because with that cab over design it is difficult to see back there I had a mirror trying to get some kind of a view but was not able to much of anything

Give it a shot and let me know the results. If Ford had vacuum diagrams I would give them but they do not.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks Chris. I will try that first thing in the mourning. hopefully it sheds some light on exactly were it connects to. have a good night

You too

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris