Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2003 Mazda B3000(Ranger). It has the 8.5 rear.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mazda B3000(Ranger). It has the 8.5 rear. 167,000 miles. Since 150,000 miles I have put 3 rear axle seals on the passenger side. It is good for a couple months then leaks again. I have checked vent tube for clog already.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

Most likely the axle bearing is bad causing the seal failure. When you have the axle shaft out have you checked for a wear groove in the axle shaft and checking the bearing rollers for pitting? Also have you checked where the seal rubs the shaft to see if there is a wear groove in the shaft.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If you are unable to rate my response GOOD or EXCELLENT now. Please let me know why ( if I need to help more) and when you will be able to.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bearings are new as are both axle shafts. I replaced both sides last time I had it open. The bearing has not spun and the seal fits tight in the housing.

Are you using OEM or aftermarket parts?

Does the seal come out of the axle tube or is it still in place when you go to repair it?

Have you checked the differential spider gears and pinion shaft to see if they are worn out allowing the axle shaft to move inward and outward excessive causing excess wear on the seal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seal is tight in the tube and has to be removed with a seal puller. The shafts are after-market. They fit with no conflicts. There is no end play in the shaft. I only have this problem on the passenger side. Before I replaced the shafts, I tried the axle saver bearings, which was good for about 6 months, but it started leaking again. The shafts were slightly grooved, so I replaced both sides.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if I understand why end play (inward and outward) would cause a seal to leak so quickly. The bearing keeps the shaft tight.

Yes the bearing does keep the shaft from moving up and down or forward and back, but it does not have any effect on the axle shaft ability to to come out far and go in far allowing the lip seal to roll over when this occurs allowing the seal surface to wear fast.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that is the case. As I said, there is no end play. I guess I was hoping that I had missed something obvious. It looks like I will have to have the dealer try.

Thanks for letting me try to help you, best of luck.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris